POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Transparent objects and fog - bug? : Re: Transparent objects and fog - bug? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 20:22:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Transparent objects and fog - bug?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 4 Aug 2002 12:06:19
Message: <chrishuff-2718D5.10571504082002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3d4d152e@news.povray.org>,
 "Gail Shaw" <gai### [at] mwebcoza> wrote:

> I have a scene with a plane, sphere, transparent  hollow box (rgbf 1)
> and ground fog. If the fog has turbulence then the box is partially
> visible and casts a shadow. If the fog has no turbulence then the box
> just casts a shadow. If the fog is removed then box is not visible
> and casts no shadow (this is what I would expect in all three cases)

The turbulence part is just a side-effect of the way fog is calculated.
It is a "cheat" that really doesn't simulate the real world very well,
but is fast to calculate. The turbulence is a 2D effect that depends on
the beginning location of the ray, not a 3D variation in density which
would require sampling like media. Not sure what's causing the shadow...

It might be possible to fix this: if the shape is non-refracting and
totally transmitting (like a media container that shouldn't be visible),
skip intersections with it and use the next shape out for the fog
calculations. Wouldn't work if it or that next shape has a partially
transparent texture or ior, but it would take care of media containers.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/