POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : library finding request : Re: library finding request Server Time
6 Oct 2024 18:44:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: library finding request
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 18 Aug 2002 11:45:28
Message: <chrishuff-263731.10322218082002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <web.3d5f25142f91788264908380@news.povray.org>,
 "=RAY=" <ray### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> I'm sorry my original text wasn't clear.  I meant that POV-Ray qualifies as
> free software.  IIRC the two licenses are compatable (not totally sure).
>
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhatDoesCompatMean

"It means that the other license and the GNU GPL are compatible; you can
combine code released under the other license with code released under
the GNU GPL in one larger program.

The GPL permits such a combination provided it is released under the GNU
GPL. The other license is compatible with the GPL if it permits this
too."

The POV license says it is incompatible with the GPL. The POV license
does not allow redistribution under the GPL. You may not use GPL code in
POV-Ray, you may not use POV-Ray code in anything but a fully-functional
version of POV-Ray distributed in a way allowed by the license. Again,
just read the POV license!

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/