POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Overlaping objects with different ior values : Re: Overlaping objects with different ior values Server Time
6 Aug 2024 06:13:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Overlaping objects with different ior values
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 23 Jul 2002 09:24:39
Message: <chrishuff-26297A.08172523072002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <chr### [at] netplexaussieorg>,
 Christopher James Huff <chr### [at] maccom> wrote:

> Well, the method I'm considering with my own raytracer is to just forbid
> overlapping transparent objects. After a ray enters a shape, the tracer
> will only test against that shape until it exits again. Things will be
> arranged so that each shape only has one material, so it won't enter
> through a surface with one material and exit through one with a
> different material. Non-refracting objects would be exempt from this, it
> would be very undesireable for media containers.

Another problem with this: transparent objects inside other transparent
objects, like a glass marble in a pool of water. It would also make the
pool of water more difficult.

I think the only solution is to do something like what POV does and just
say that partially overlapping objects won't render correctly because it
is impossible to say what the "correct" way is. A render-time warning
might be helpful sometimes, but would usually be useless overhead.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/