POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature requests iden() : Re: Feature requests iden() Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:13:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature requests iden()
From: Chris Huff
Date: 28 Nov 2000 06:24:11
Message: <chrishuff-205CF3.06244428112000@news.povray.org>
In article <slr### [at] fwicom>, ron### [at] povrayorg
wrote:

> We use curly braces for far too many things in POV already,
...snip...

That's funny, I didn't think they were used enough...

> But not like this.  This looks too much like an object syntax, and I
> want it to be clear that the primary purpose of an associative array
> is as a key/value dictionary.

Too much like object syntax? It seems closer to vectors to me, which
makes it make even more sense...a vector has 3 elements with the keys
being x, y, and z. Is your objection to the use of a single operator
instead of brackets? How about:
AssocArray->NewIdent
or
AssocArray:NewIdent
or
NewIdent@AssocArray
or
AssocArray(NewIdent)

I think it would be better to use a more familiar syntax(the dot
operator) than to use some rarely used character.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><