POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : name for no interpolation : Re: name for no interpolation Server Time
8 Jul 2024 18:06:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: name for no interpolation
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 13 Sep 2002 15:07:14
Message: <chrishuff-202E29.15063313092002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3d810f73@news.povray.org>,
 "Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

> > So does POV, functions.inc. It is annoying though, confusing to newbies,
> > and slower than a built-in keyword.
> It isn't slower as far as the implementation is concerned.  And parsing
> slowdowns do not really matter for functions.inc in a non-trivial scene.  It
> does keep out a hundred or so keywords however, which is a great benefit for
> everybody who does not happen to be using one of those functions in a
> particular scene.

A user-defined identifier is just as fast to identify and resolve as
identifying a token? I'm doubtful about that...I wouldn't be surprised
if the difference is too small to be important, though. It's somewhat
annoying when you forget to include functions.inc (there have been
several users with that problem), but it is useable and better than
integer codes.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/