POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : CSDL: C-like Simulation Description Language : Re: Licensing, Was: Re: CSDL Update Server Time
7 Aug 2024 05:22:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Licensing, Was: Re: CSDL Update
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 19 Jan 2002 12:41:23
Message: <chrishuff-2028EB.12421619012002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3C49A342.98185D79@gmx.de>,

> I suppose the main reason for the lack of interest are the problems
> understanding what this can be good for, if you release something
> including samples for usage i think the interest will be larger (assuming
> it's really something useful of course... ;-))

That's somewhat like wondering what C can be good for...
CSDL is a programming language. It is intended to be far easier to learn
than C, and useful for doing any mathematics, simulations, etc. It has a
library that can output POV-Script, manage scene options, and call
POV-Ray, so CSDL can be used to describe scenes. It will also eventually
be able to draw its own graphics with OpenGL, so you could get real-time
visualizations of simulations or previews of scenes.

There are many things that are difficult to do in POV because of the
limitations of its language, or which are just too slow to parse, such
as particle systems, mesh bone animation, other animation methods, etc.
CSDL is intended to make this a lot easier. In addition, it is a kind of
"proof of concept" for some of my ideas for future modifications to the
POV-Script language, to show that the ideas are actually useful.

> The Perl Artistic License has the advantage that it forces a distinction
> of the original version and custom extensions, apart from that it's much
> like GPL i think.

I really know virtually nothing about licensing. Do you know of any web
sites with information for people new to this kind of thing?