POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Real Time Ray Tracing : Re: Real Time Ray Tracing Server Time
6 Aug 2024 14:15:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Real Time Ray Tracing
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 8 Mar 2002 06:16:03
Message: <chrishuff-1FA5CC.06161508032002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <l20h8us9sqrsng4tdrn8kl9h6o2mvd2prq@4ax.com>,
 W?odzimierz ABX Skiba <abx### [at] babilonorg> wrote:

> AFAIK they mix terms. They write about OpenGL as raytracer but afaik OpenGL is
> not a raytracer. Am I right ? I'm not an expert but this thing looks at first
> sight like Moray with OpenGL preview.  Perhaps with speed improvements. I'm
> sceptical :-)

OpenGL has no built-in support for raytracing, but there is a trick
which has to do with getting it to render a single pixel and getting the
depth of that pixel. The result is intersection information...very
roundabout and probably too inefficient to be useful, but I don't really
know.
You could also use scanline rendering instead of tracing the primary
rays, if you don't mind everything being converted to polygons. Same
technique: use the depth buffer to find the intersection points. Barely
something you could consider raytracing, but it accomplishes the same
thing.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/