POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : alpha transparency help : Re: alpha transparency help Server Time
6 Aug 2024 10:21:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: alpha transparency help
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 4 Apr 2002 15:08:17
Message: <chrishuff-1C5ADB.15093504042002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3caca91b@news.povray.org>,
 "Corey Woodworth" <cdw### [at] mpinetnet> wrote:

> Ok I made a pic with an all white background by making the actual background
> white. I also added an infinte plane that is white with an ambient of .4 as
> a floor. I did this because I wanted the objects I placed in the scene to
> have shadows on a floor but still have the floor indistinguishable from the
> sky. My first problem is that ambient .4 really lightens up the shadows but
> if I lower the ambient the horizon becomes visible. My other problem is I
> want to make this pic alpha transparent. When I do so the white background
> becomes transparent but the floor doesn't. Is there a way I can give the
> floor a no_image tag or something similar but still let shadows be cast on
> it.

That would be meaningless, of course...you can't have shadows on nothing.
There are several simple ways to solve this, the easiest would be: Just
don't use an infinite plane. Use a box or something just large enough
for the shadows, but not big enough for light fading to make a
difference. Using a diffuse slightly larger than 1 would help make the
edge invisible.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/