POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pov 4.00 question : Re: Possible POV Object Scheme (was Re: Pov 4.00 question) Server Time
7 Aug 2024 05:16:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Possible POV Object Scheme (was Re: Pov 4.00 question)
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 2 Feb 2002 11:42:08
Message: <chrishuff-1C20F9.11432302022002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <Xns### [at] 204213191226>,
 Jordan <hookflash@_hotmail_.com> wrote:

> I *really* hope the sdl gets completely redone for pov 4.  Imo, an object-
> oriented approach would be much cleaner & prettier.  I would love to see a
> more powerful sdl (cleaner (no more '{'s and '#'s, for example),

No more '{'s? That would make it much harder to read, not to mention
more typing. What would you do, replace them with "begin" and "end"
keywords, like pascal?
I'd eliminate the existing #end keyword, replacing it with {} blocks.
The "#" character would only be used for "preprocessor" directives.

> user- defined data types,

Just the ability to attach variables and macros to objects should be
enough here...you could do things like a lens flare "object". If there
were object references, you could even make a linked list...

> Has anyone considered using an existing scripting language, such as
> Lua or Python, as the pov sdl?

These languages aren't really made for scene description...you would
have to modify them pretty heavily before you got something that looked
like a scene description language instead of an API.
I've seen Lua before...it looks very interesting. It seems to base
everything on associative arrays.

> This is *exactly* the sort of thing these langs were designed for.

Not really...

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/