POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : displacement mapping : Re: displacement mapping Server Time
7 May 2024 13:25:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: displacement mapping
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 20 Feb 2002 21:09:11
Message: <chrishuff-1C0A88.21085920022002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c73e40c$1@news.povray.org>,
 "John Bradshaw" <joh### [at] nospamhotmailcom> wrote:

> I'm finding with my neuron image (p.b.i. if you're curious) that I really
> wished I could use displacement mapping instead of just bump mapping. How
> hard is this to implement? I'm not asking for the pov team to do it (so
> don't start another POV 4 flame session), but wondering if someone knew of
> an algorithm and if it would be reasonable to expect that I could use it to
> pertrub my mesh (taking into consideration that I am not a hard-core
> programmer).

There is a patch that attempts it by approximating the curved rays using
short segments, I don't know how fast it is or how well it works. Look
for the "deform" patch.

There are also patches in progress for tesselation, turning objects into
meshes. A mesh is much easier to deform than most of POV's primitives,
since you can often just displace the vertices, and you can subdivide a
triangle into more triangles as necessary.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/