POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Precision : Re: Precision Server Time
5 Aug 2024 06:15:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Precision
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 11 Nov 2002 12:27:40
Message: <chrishuff-1BCF87.12272411112002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <Xns### [at] 204213191226>,
 "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <raf### [at] raf256com> wrote:

> No, I know that long double operations will be slower then float :)
> The idea is to have ANOTHER distribution, and if someone realy needs high
> precision and if speed is not important for him - he will run another build
> of engine.

You still don't understand...no amount of precision will avoid
coincident surface problems like the ones in the examples you gave, the
only thing it might help would be a few special cases in some root
solvers. Finding those and using "long double" only where it is useful
and necessary would be the correct solution, not a massive change
affecting the whole program. It would preferably be an alternate solving
method so people could use the faster version if they don't need the
high precision. And then, it should only be used if there is no way to
reduce the sensitivity of the algorithms to this kind of error.

Going through the trouble of doing this for the POV 3.5 source would be
a waste of time, and it wouldn't help nearly as much as you seem to
think.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/