POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Layered textures vs. sky_sphere : Re: Layered textures vs. sky_sphere Server Time
5 Aug 2024 16:16:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Layered textures vs. sky_sphere
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 20 Aug 2002 18:27:54
Message: <chrishuff-1B8766.17132820082002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3d62aed4@news.povray.org>,
 "jfmiller" <jfm### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> The Sky sphere is calculated for any ray the doesn't intersect anything
> else.  and while Im not sure of this I think it is a camera effect (i.e. the
> sky will be the same regardless of camera location)

It is the same regardless of ray origin. It only uses the direction of
the ray. The color is taken from the point on a unit sphere where the
ray would point if its origin were < 0, 0, 0>, in other words the
direction is the evaluation point.

> A "real" Sphere has a surface which calculus will tell appears flat at a
> suitably large scale.   in otherwords what you have done is to make the sky
> a very high flat plain.  try shrinking the sky and see if it doesn't look
> better.

It appears flatter when you are on the surface of the sphere. We are
inside the sphere, very near the center. The bigger the sphere is, the
closer it will be to an "infinite sphere" with the ray origin at the
center, just like the sky_sphere background effect.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/