POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Why left-handed coordinate system? : Re: Why left-handed coordinate system? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:14:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why left-handed coordinate system?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 15 Nov 2002 11:54:59
Message: <chrishuff-17872B.11542815112002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <1flp1lf.b3ye8bmkt22oN%kaveh@delete_this.focalimage.com>,
 kav### [at] delete_thisfocalimagecom (Kaveh) wrote:

> Is this really the reason? So has everyone else got it wrong, e.g.
> maths, physics, etc?

In screen coordinates, x is usually from left to right, and y from
bottom to top. The left handed coordinate system is simply an extension
of this: z going into the screen. It is not something unique to POV, it
is used in many other places as well.
Even in right handed coordinate systems, the y axis is often "up"
(OpenGL for example). The difference is that the z axis points out of
the monitor instead of into it. A depth buffer is often called a
"z-buffer", but never a "y-buffer". I think the main source of the "z is
up" system is actually architectural drawings, it makes sense when x and
y are already used for a horizontal plane on paper. In math, I often see
the z coordinate visualized as depth into a graph instead of height.

Neither way is "wrong", they are just different conventions. An analogy
would be row-major vs. column-major matrices.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/