POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Translucent materials : Re: Translucent materials Server Time
6 Aug 2024 14:16:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Translucent materials
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 13 Mar 2002 11:32:50
Message: <chrishuff-152B55.11322713032002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c8eb7ff$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Corey Woodworth" <cdw### [at] mpinetnet> wrote:

> How can I make a translucent material? I have a plastic piece I'm trying to
> model. When I look at it with a light behind it I can see the light shine
> through but I can't discern any shapes or such.

The typical way of doing this is to use scattering media that is dense
enough to obscure what's behind it. You might also want to blur the
texture using the averaged textures trick...it would get pretty slow
though. If your object is a thin sheet, just using the double_illuminate
flag might work...that makes a light source illuminate both sides of a
surface.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/