POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Blocky Horizon Reflection : Re: Blocky Horizon Reflection Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:22:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blocky Horizon Reflection
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 5 Aug 2002 18:03:13
Message: <chrishuff-142BF0.16530805082002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3d4ee807@news.povray.org>, "Slime" <slm### [at] slimelandcom>
wrote:

> > Patches (IIRC) are converted into triangles during parsing
>
> Are they? I doubt it... that wouldn't be consistent with the functionality
> of a raytracer.

They are converted into triangles, type 0 does everything at render time
and type 1 does some of the work at parse time. It doesn't have anything
to do with POV being a raytracer. It is just easier to solve for a
tesselated patch than to solve for the mathematical surface...more
reliable as well, it doesn't give as many artifacts. Height fields are
also tesselated, and POV supports triangles and two kinds of mesh
primitives...being a raytracer does not make triangles forbidden.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/