POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : BMRT : Re: BMRT Server Time
5 Aug 2024 20:23:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: BMRT
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 2 Aug 2002 00:12:30
Message: <chrishuff-0FA68F.23033701082002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3D4### [at] comtradeee>,
 Vahur Krouverk <vkr### [at] comtradeee> wrote:

> Same very topic was discussed a little bit in p.off-topic (thread
> "NVIDIA bought Exluna", dated 2002-07-23).
> Sometimes I wondered, whether POV-Ray team held quite low profile (no
> cost, no support, restricted use by third-party tools etc.) for the very
> same reason: not to step to toes of some big company. Imagine, that
> someone wrote plugin for using POV-Ray as renderer for some modeller (or
> any other modelling package) and previous renderer provider feels like
> losing its income and tries to sue team, e.g. for patent infringement,
> as it's quite possible, that POV-Ray implements some patented algorithm(s).

    I'm quite sure that if they saw some benefit in it, there are some
companies that could go after the POV Team. There are so many stupid
patents out there that it is probably impossible to write a major piece
of graphics software without violating a few. One of the tesselation
patches infringes on the patent on the marching cubes algorithm. That
Pixar patent seemed (as far as I could tell, I'm no expert) to apply to
anything that used randomized sampling, so it could cover media,
radiosity, focal blur, scenes that use averaged textures with different
normals, jitter in the antialiasing, area lights, or photons...

    There must be quite a few patents that could be interpreted as
applying to other things in the official version. And most attempts to
use these patents against POV would be utterly rediculous but very
costly to fight. (when did patents go from a protection to a weapon?)

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/