POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : ISO optimization : Re: ISO optimization Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:20:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ISO optimization
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 5 Aug 2002 12:35:15
Message: <chrishuff-0D33B2.11250805082002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <Xns### [at] 204213191226>,
 "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <raf### [at] raf256com> wrote:

> imho ISOsurface is the most flexible and powerfull future in Pov :)

First, *it is not ISOsurface*! The word is "isosurface", the "iso" used
here is not an acronym for anything, isosurface just means equipotential
surface, a surface where a function is equal to a certain potential or
threshold value.

> but if we divide ISO to separate iso's with diffrent max_gradient it will
> ernder much faster. Problem with using i.e. union/merge of smal ISO's is
> that ther will be some artefacts in places where elements touches
> togeather.

How do you propose to do this? Have the user create another function
describing the gradient of the isosurface function?
You would need a smoothly varying value for the reason you mentioned, it
will create artifacts otherwise. Automatically analyzing the function
and creating the gradient function is not practical. One possible
alternative would be to create a voxelfield of gradient values over the
isosurface and use that for the gradient value...this could use quite a
bit of memory though, and add overhead which would just slow down other
functions, so you would definitely want a way to turn it off.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/