POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : save hf pattern ? : Re: save hf pattern ? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:18:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: save hf pattern ?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 30 Sep 2002 22:53:32
Message: <chrishuff-072C76.22502830092002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <Xns### [at] 204213191226>,
 "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <raf### [at] raf256com> wrote:

> oook... problem is with
> a) rand() stream state
> b) variables used in functions used in expression
> c) global settings, i.e. noise generator type

Also, objects, image maps or patterns, anything that uses other forms of
data files...I'm not going to bother coming up with more.

> 1. POV will just ignore problem with variables - it will not 'detect'
> change of pattern - yes then caching will work wrong, but this would be
> just a beta-test version

That's not even close to a beta. That's early alpha at best. It just
doesn't work in the majority of cases.

> 2. inform POV with variables are used in expression (that are not obvious -
> they are used in functions used in formula)
>   pattern 1000,1000 { x+y+function_basing_on_my_variable(x,y,z)
>     cache { depend(my_variable, another_var) }
>   }
> cache implementation is simply - just write (in .id hash file)
>   variable-name  variable-value
> i.e.:
> my_variable 10.0
> another_var 0.33

It's getting more and more bloated, clumsy, and ugly. By this point you
are spending more time making sure the cache system works right then you
are saving with the cache.

> this code (hash checking) I can write myself (but I will need some help
> with merging it with POV).

You've been told many times before, that is not how things are done. Get
a clue...the best advice I can give is to forget everything you think
you know about programming and start again from scratch. You don't just
write up something like this and then cram it into the POV code.

> 3. maybe later POV will have some more complex code to egzaminate (and
> maybe optimize) expressions ? Then, btw. we can add posibbility to auto-
> detect depend variables (as they will be any way detect as it is needed to
> create optmization of pattern formula)

"egzaminate"? That's no English word...
Again, getting more and more complex, and less and less maintainable.
You obviously have no idea what would be required for this.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/