POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Antialiasing before or after clipping... : Re: Antialiasing before or after clipping... Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:22:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Antialiasing before or after clipping...
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 27 Aug 2004 16:35:01
Message: <cgo5nr$9nd$1@chho.imagico.de>
Rune wrote:

> Could you refresh my memory in what exact order things are handled now?
> First antialiasing, then gamma-correction, then color clipping? Where does
> the non-linear tone mapping fit in? Is it the same as gamma correction?

The term 'tone mapping' is used for the combination of all operations
used to map the light intensities returned by the raytracer to the color
values of the images.  In the simplest case this is no operation at all
but in most cases you will use at least clipping and gamma correction.
More sophisticated techniques exist which usually make the clipping
completely unnecessary because the mapping function maps the infinite
range of possible intensities to a finite interval.

POV-Ray 3.6.1 does antialiasing with the unmodified intensity values,
clips them, gamma corrects them and then writes them to the file.  In
MegaPOV (1.0 and later) the film exposure is (when enabled) applied
before the clipping and in fact makes it unnecessary (it is still there
but has no effect).

Christoph

Last updated 06 Jul. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______