POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Antialiasing before or after clipping... : Re: Antialiasing before or after clipping... Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:18:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Antialiasing before or after clipping...
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 27 Aug 2004 13:35:03
Message: <cgnr66$qll$1@chho.imagico.de>
Rune wrote:

> First of all, there is no objective right or wrong. What you think is wrong
> might be right to me, and possibly a lot of other users.

You can understand words differently but 'wrong' in the sense i use it
for has nothing to with something being wrong and right *for someone* in
the sense of being useful or not useful.  It is about being wrong under
criteria of consistent and transparent design.  You have failed to bring
up any arguments why applying tone mapping before antialiasing is more
consistent than doing it before file writing.

>>because as long as the file format used for writing the image supports
>>it it should be unclipped in the file.
>

> So clip it at the maximum value that the output format supports? Which
> happens still to be 1.0 at the vast majority of supported formats.

Could it be that you did not understand the fundamental difference
between a HDR and a conventional image file format?  It does not make
sense to speak of a maximum value in a HDR image file format, even if it
has a theoretical maximum value.

> And I suppose that this thing that you call a trick, and which many users
> want, and which make many images look better is *wrong*? Why?
>
> And when I define the problem as the presence of jagged edges, then why is
> the discussed clipping not a solution to this problem, when it does indeed
> remove the jagged edges?

Because this 'solution' causes a lot of trouble (among others making HDR
image output impossible without larger hacks).  And it does not solve
the problem of non-linear tone mapping applied after the antialiasing
step limiting the quality of the antialiasing results.

Don't get me wrong, i never said the clipping isn't a useful trick for
scene design, citing from my first reply:

>> An additional clipping option might be
>> useful now but it should be clear that this would be an additional
>> artistic feature (just like reflection exponent and radiosity
>> max_sample) and by default it should be turned off.

but as said it is just a trick and should no way be applied by default.

> Mind you, for me a "solution" is to use POV-Ray 3.5 instead of 3.6. It's
> just not a very good solution. You can't say what's a solution and what
> isn't to a problem that I have defined.

If you think this solution has a future i don't mind.  But i think
trying to understand the reasons why this is changed and why this change
is not bad per se and working out a solution that does not revert this
change would be a much more elegant approach.

Christoph

Last updated 06 Jul. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______