POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : (simple?) Isosurface patch request : Re: (simple?) Isosurface patch request Server Time
28 Sep 2024 17:53:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: (simple?) Isosurface patch request
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 15 Aug 2004 02:15:02
Message: <cfmuvc$2es$1@chho.imagico.de>
Samuel Benge wrote:

>> BTW, we're not talking about what _looks_ better but what matches the
>> actual surface better. I'm saying this because of the different looks
>> of the grainy cylinder. Seems the grain size is in the order of the
>> accuracy.

No, we are talking about what looks better.  Of course it has to
resemble the actual model to look good but even some quite significant
difference is acceptable as long as it looks reasonable.

And what you are referring to as 'grain' is simply the pattern function
used.  The appearance of the cylinder is completely correct in all
versions and does not profit much from the patch (the random differences
are mostly due to aliasing).

> I'm curious to see how the code below would look (close up), with the
> new patch. The lack of interpolation is very clear, I think:

That's a good example, i rendered them in larger:

http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/files/sam_test2o.png
http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/files/sam_test2i.png

As clearly visible the patch only interpolates the t value (the distance
of the intersection from the camera) it does nothing more!  Therefore
most artefacts are still there.  Note the black areas are - as assumed
previously - mostly caused by the use of the high accuracy values for
normal calculation as well.  If i just use 1/10 of the value for the
normal they are gone:

http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/files/sam_test2s.png

Christoph

Last updated 06 Jul. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______