POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : (simple?) Isosurface patch request : Re: (simple?) Isosurface patch request Server Time
28 Sep 2024 17:54:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: (simple?) Isosurface patch request
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 14 Aug 2004 15:45:02
Message: <cflq1c$6jm$1@chho.imagico.de>
Samuel Benge wrote:

> Okay, the example image has been uploaded to p.b.i. I gave three
> examples in png format, each one having a different accuracy value.
> Also, the isosurface has smooth and rough surfaces combined for obvious
> reasons. The code for the example is below. You might want to uncomment
> the max_gradient and use very high values, to conclude the artifacts
> shown are not related to max_gradient. Also, I encourage both you and
> Wolgang to try this in the patched version. I'd like to see the results.

What you see on the front face of the box are exactly the explained
shadow ray noise effects you also see on Wolfgang's samples caused by
tangential lighting.  The surface is always found reliably, just if it
is in shadow or not varies.  Since these surfaces result from a
precisely linear function the linear interpolation leads to perfect
results here for arbitrary accuracy values (on the faces, not near the
edges and only within the accuracy of floating point numbers of course).

Since you usually won't use tangential lighting in real scenes for such
flat surfaces i moved the light source a bit.  I also changed
max_gradient to 4 (the real maximum gradient of the function seems just
above 3).  Here are the results:

no interpolation:

http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/files/sam_test1_o05.png
http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/files/sam_test1_o01.png