POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : (simple?) Isosurface patch request : Re: (simple?) Isosurface patch request Server Time
26 Jun 2024 00:56:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: (simple?) Isosurface patch request
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 14 Aug 2004 09:40:02
Message: <cfl4h7$mjb$1@chho.imagico.de>
Wolfgang Wieser wrote:
> [...]
>
>>which will work
>>well in cases like these where the accuracy is much smaller than the
>>features of the isosurface function anyway
>>

> This is correct. If you really want the _isosurface_ of a function to get
> plottet in a numerically usable way, you need to have
> "accuracy" < "characteristic surface feature grain size".

Your numbers what factor you can reduce the accuracy settings are quite
wild guesses.  It depends on how well the linear interpolation
approximates the real change of the function in the final interval.  If
it does this badly you won't have such a gain (factor 10 would already
be extremely good).  Also note the normal vector calculation uses the
accuracy value as well so by increasing the accuracy setting you also
influence the calculation of the normal vector.

> BTW, talking about isosurface speed, I very much like the idea of your
> patch presented here:
> http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0013390/fast_iso/patch.html
>
> Will this patch be made available sometimes somewhere

Sure, some time.

> (such as in
> the next megapov version)?

No.