POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Commercial stuff with PovRAY? : Re: Commercial stuff with PovRAY? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:24:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Commercial stuff with PovRAY?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 12 Aug 2004 05:05:02
Message: <cffbkp$3o0$1@chho.imagico.de>
ABX wrote:

> DirecX is an API which is almost part of OS, Acrobat reader is a viewer for
> standarized format - both made commercially released to increase popularity of
> the standards supported by other commercial products of their manufacturers.
> More DirectX distributed means more games for Windows, which means increased
> Windows usage, which means money. The same with Acrobat Reader and other Adobe
> PDF products and popularisation of nonfree electronic books. So their "free"
> nature is calculation of the profits for the cost to be included on CDs I see
> in shops for 1$ and less.

In fact Adobe is distributing Acrobat Reader for free is simply a
marketing strategy - they hope to boost their sales of Acrobat and their
other products this way (and it is completely undoubted they have
success with that).

This all has nothing to do with the question of commercial bundling of
POV-Ray of course.

Christoph

Last updated 06 Jul. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______