POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : BENCHMARK: Itanium, Opteron, Xeon, Athlon (GCC, ICC) : Re: BENCHMARK: Itanium, Opteron, Xeon, Athlon (GCC, ICC) Server Time
5 May 2024 21:25:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: BENCHMARK: Itanium, Opteron, Xeon, Athlon (GCC, ICC)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 10 Aug 2004 07:10:02
Message: <cfaac1$crb$1@chho.imagico.de>
S Tayefeh wrote:

>  Hi!
>
>   I have had the chance to compile and run POV3.6 on various platforms
>  using Gnu C/C++ Compiler and Intel C/C++ Compiler.
>
>  I have run tests on these Linux-Machines (further specs see below):
>  * INTEL Itanium, 0.8 GHz,
>  * AMD Athlon TB, 0.8 GHz,
>  * AMD Opteron 244, 1.8 GHz,
>  * INTEL Pentium IV Xeon, 2.4 GHz
>
>  Of course, it's not particularly fair to compare a 1.8GHz Opteron machine
>  with a 0.8 GHz Athlon --keep that in mind, please!
>

> Benchmark for var. archs and compilers:
>
> using POV-Rays official benchmark.pov script
> with suggested options -w384 -h384 +a0.3 +v -d -f -x

Please use the benchmark.ini coming with POV-Ray.  This makes sure the
results are comparable with those made by others, using the above
options does not!

> numbers = processor time [seconds]
> LOWER NUMBERS = BETTER
>
>                ICC8.0   GCC3.x.x
> ---------------------------------
> ITANIUM (64)   10880     8715
> ---------------------------------
> OPTERON (64)     n.a.    1580
> ---------------------------------
> XEON    (32)    2458     3757
> ---------------------------------
> ATHLON  (32)     n.a.    5012
> ---------------------------------
> (64=64bit arch, 32=32bit arch)
>
> * AMD Opteron 244, 1.8 GHz, 4 GByte RAM
>   (dual processor boards in cluster)
>   RedHat Linux
> * INTEL Pentium IV Xeon, 2.4 GHz, 2 GByte RAM
>   (dual processor boards in cluster)
>   RedHat Linux
> * INTEL Itanium, 0.8 GHz, 2 GByte Ram
>   (dual processor board)
>   Debian Linux
> * AMD Athlon TB, 0.8 GHz, 256 kB Ram
>   (single processor board)
>   Debian Linux
>

>  Obviously, you won't make use of an Itanium machine
> because of it's speed ;-) I was wondering why the Intel Compiler
> produced a code that performed ~20% slower than the one produced
> by GCC, so I randomly chose some of POVs example-scene files for
> render with both codes, and here is what I got:
>
> [...]

Without telling about the compiler options used this is pretty useless -
you did not even mention if the Opteron/Itanium tests use a 64bit
compile or not.  Also 'GCC3.x.x' is a somewhat incomplete information.

Christoph

Last updated 06 Jul. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______