POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : how to model this? : Re: how to model this? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 20:20:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: how to model this?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 2 Aug 2004 11:30:02
Message: <celme0$7a1$1@chho.imagico.de>
Gert Van den Eynde wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to use povray to model some scientific data: I have a (large)
> set <x,y,z,data> vectors in which the data scalar can be represented using
> a color. Between the given data, an interpolation mechanism should provide
> continuity. How could I model this in Povray (speed of trace is not that
> important) ?

The data you describe does not represent a surface geometry - the idea
to 'model' it in POV-Ray does not make much sense therefore.

In any case interpolating a continuous scalar field from values at
certain arbitrary positions (i.e. not in a regular grid) is quite tricky
- the usual approach would be to first resample it to a regular grid and
then display it is some way (for example using media).

Christoph

Last updated 06 Jul. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______