POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Remastering KNOPPIX to include POV-Ray : Re: Remastering KNOPPIX to include POV-Ray Server Time
3 Aug 2024 02:17:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Remastering KNOPPIX to include POV-Ray
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 11 Jun 2004 11:50:01
Message: <cack9o$1ou$1@chho.imagico.de>
Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> The last two days I have been remastering Knoppix v3.4
> (2004-05-17 BETA) in order to put on it POV-Ray for
> Linux and some other POV-Ray related linux tools.
>
> More info about Knoppix can be found here:
> http://knoppix.net/
>
> So far I have succeeded in producing a Knoppix CD that
> contains POV-Ray v3.6 and Blender v2.32.
>
> Both these applications seems to works ok so far.
>
> On this page I see some more unix-tools listed:
> http://www.povray.org/download/unix-tools.php

QTPov and Emacs pov-mode would certainly be useful (assuming
Emacs/XEmacs are in Knoppix by default).

> - Will there be any legal problems related to the
>   distribution of it ?

Probably not, the new distribution license has a special point about
Linux distributions which will cover this as well.

> - If not, how could/should it be distributed ?

Availability on the net will probably be a good idea although a lot of
people will not like the download volume.  It could be sold like the
IRTC CD-ROMs for supporting POV-Ray (although there would be less
motivation to buy it because it will be available for free as well).

> - Does anyone have suggestions for other resources
>   to put on it ?

It would be very good to also include some common include files (you
would have to obtain consent from the authors for this of course).

Furthermore:

- a newsreader preconfigured for news.povray.org
- IMP and POV-Anywhere clients preconfigured (the latter will require a
correctly configured MTA for using the email mode so this might be tricky)
- screensaver configured to show a slideshow of POV-Ray renders.

Christoph

Last updated 01 May. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______