POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Preferred operating system for intensive PovRay use : Re: Preferred operating system for intensive PovRay use Server Time
3 Aug 2024 02:19:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Preferred operating system for intensive PovRay use
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 25 May 2004 16:15:02
Message: <c9098v$ivi$1@chho.imagico.de>
Fredrik Eriksson wrote:

> Another issue you did not address:
> Which system has the faster POV-Ray executable? They are, after all,
> compiled with different tools. I vaguely recall some old posts
> somewhere  claiming that the Windows version was noticeably faster than
> its Linux  counterpart.

I remember various posts claiming such things but without any actual
proove so it mostly stays an urban legend.

I made a quick comparison some time ago, for those who maintain an
archive of povray.off-topic:

From: Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>
Newsgroups: povray.off-topic
Subject: Re: neat but not really off-topic
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 20:44:54 +0200

It showed a difference between the official Windows and Linux versions
of about 10% in rendering the benchmark scene.  Note the test was far
from sophisticated, various things (including beta version related
issues) could have influenced the result.  Especially note that
depending on the processor you might get similar speed differences from
different compiler optimization settings on linux (see recent discussion
in povray.unix).

So in the end it sums up to: Who wants to find a support for his OS
decision in POV-Ray rendering performance will be able to find one (for
whatever OS that might be).

Christoph

Last updated 01 May. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______