POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Configuration Error? : Re: Configuration Error? Server Time
6 Jul 2024 01:54:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Configuration Error?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 24 May 2004 11:40:02
Message: <c8t4ns$agb$1@chho.imagico.de>
gRRosminet wrote:

> If you take a look at the generated Makefile, povray is compiled with
> march=i586. This is why the official binary is so slow : it doesn't take
> advantage of SSE/SSE2/3DNow2 instructions which are really faster than
> standards ones and which can be executed at the same time than other
> standard ones.
> If you have an athlon thunderbird and compile povray with -march=athlon
> instead of -march=i586, you'll get a povray running about 30% faster
> than the original one. So I let you imagine what you can get with a
> athlon xp or pentium 4 optimized version.

No, i am pretty sure when you get such results you have not made a
serious comparison.  When you come up with such numbers it would be
adequate to back them up with some benchmark results and offer the used
executables for others to verify.

Christoph

Last updated 01 May. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______