POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : QTPov Editor v0.3.1 : Re: QTPov Editor v0.3.1 Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:52:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: QTPov Editor v0.3.1
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 2 Apr 2004 12:05:02
Message: <c4k681$9ur$1@chho.imagico.de>
gRRosminet wrote:
> [...]
>
> - i hate the standard qt file dialogs - the KDE ones are so much better
> to use...
>
> ==> everyone does not have KDE (I know people still using fvwm2). And
> using KDE tools implies to install your application in the KDE bin
> directory and to recompile KDE if you recompile QT ....

Well - there are surely good reasons to design this as a plain QT
program but i wonder if this is really what people would prefer.  Most
Unix users who use POV-Ray will run a fairly modern Linux distribution
and will be able to use a KDE program - no matter if KDE is their DE or
not.  They will probably be hardly interested in compiling either QT or KDE.

And making this a KDE program could also have advantages for you as the
programmer - you could use the standard KDE editor component (Kate) and
would not need to worry about syntax highlighting, indention etc...

But that's just my personal and very biased opinion of course and an
important argument for staying with plain QT is surely the much better
portability.

> - the insert menu images are displayed on the upper left of the main
> window - showing them in a separate toolbar element might be a better idea.
>
> ==> there is no toolbar : it's only displayed when using the insert menu.

I think you misunderstood me - right now they are displayed at a fixed
position that is not very nice - displaying the image in a toolbar would
enable the user to move this somewhere he likes it best.

Christoph

Last updated 21 Mar. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______