POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POVRay Fractal Raytracing Competition : Re: POVRay Fractal Raytracing Competition Server Time
3 Aug 2024 08:15:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay Fractal Raytracing Competition
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 2 Apr 2004 07:30:02
Message: <c4jm69$524$1@chho.imagico.de>
Warp wrote:
>   Doesn't this replicate too much IRTC with a topic of "fractals"?
> This is mainly because there are practically no limits on what the
> user can do (except using external files, which isn't very limiting,
> and a maximum of 10000 bytes, which isn't very limiting either).
>
>   The problem I see with this is that there's really no challenge
> in this competition other than making a beautiful image. Which is
> exactly what IRTC is for.

Apart from what you already mentioned i think there are the following
important differences to the IRTC:

- the source code has to be provided
- manipulations in a paint program are not possible
- the images used for voting are guaranteed to be of comparable
technical quality
- the competition is restricted to POV-Ray

While the last point is surely a questionable advantage the other ones
make it quite different from the IRTC and could make it a great
demonstration of the capabilities of POV-Ray.

Christoph

Last updated 21 Mar. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______