POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV Wishlist : Re: POV Wishlist Server Time
3 Aug 2024 20:16:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV Wishlist
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 23 Mar 2004 15:10:01
Message: <c3q5ic$9bk$1@chho.imagico.de>
Rick [Kitty5] wrote:

> I would have to render the image at 16200x10200
>
> Now, on the fastest single CPU I have, said image takes a day to render at
> 1024x768
>
> How long would it take to render the poster size image (that is more than 10
> times bigger) ?

About 210 times as long.  This is not specific to POV-Ray, it is the
same for any other raytracer (so much for 'povray doesn't scale').

> Far to long, especially if you concider that its easy to make an image that
> takes longer than a day to render at desktop resolutions.
>
> And all this assumes that I will only have to render said poster sized image
> once, how do I keep a client who wants to see a series of proofs and make
> changes - tell them it could take months because povray doesn't scale!
>
> "POV is not a suitable tool" and "simply isn't practical" are very clearly
> valid statements.

Please reread what i wrote about it.  You write that you can't use tools
that distribute a render via file system for reasons specific to your
situation but you generally say "for professional print work, ... , POV
is not a suitable tool" a few sentences later.  I don't want to get
personal here but this to me seems quite clearly either ignorant or
malicious.

Christoph

Last updated 21 Mar. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______