POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV Wishlist : Re: POV Wishlist Server Time
3 Aug 2024 22:16:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV Wishlist
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 23 Mar 2004 11:45:02
Message: <c3ppah$6lg$1@chho.imagico.de>
Tom Galvin wrote:

>>>Is filesystem based,
>>
>>It is not, RTFM.
>>

> I read:
>
>    "Right now the exchange of data between the different computers
>     rendering a scene works via the file system. This allows distributed
>     renders on any group of computers that have access to a common
>     directory via SMB, NFS, etc. It is well possible to extend this with
>     exchange via ftp, email or any other network protocol by writing
>     additional scripts."

That's completely right - but as the text says this distributed
rendering framework is not limited to file system based communication.
It is quite straight away to extend it to any other transport - the
system is designed to make this relatively easy.  I am pretty sure
though that using the file system is the most convenient way for most
people (for using email to exchange data for example it would be
extremely necessary to implement a signing/encryption system which would
be more difficult to set up).

Christoph

Last updated 21 Mar. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______