POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV Wishlist : Re: POV Wishlist Server Time
3 Aug 2024 22:12:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV Wishlist
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 23 Mar 2004 05:35:01
Message: <c3p3m4$2jr$1@chho.imagico.de>
Rick [Kitty5] wrote:

> I want to be able to render at 16200x10200 (and above) for print work and
> not compromise on the features I use in my images. I don't use povray for
> such work as it simply isn't practical.

You can render such an image with POV-Ray without problems, if you are
referring to distributed renders try:

http://pvmpov.sourceforge.net/
http://www.tu-bs.de/%7Ey0013390/povany/index.html

> I fully appreciate that multi threaded applications can be difficult to
> write and thats without the special issues with some of povray's features.
>
> But, it makes the difference between povray being a hobbyists toy and a
> professional rendering engine.

I (and probably most others here) would appreciate if you'd not come up
with such conclusions before understanding why POV-Ray is not multithreaded.

Also note that multithreading will not help you to distribute a render
on several computers.  Using several processors on one machine is one
thing - distributing a render on several computers in another.

Christoph

Last updated 21 Mar. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______