POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MegaPov collision detection : Re: MegaPov collision detection Server Time
30 Jun 2024 20:04:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPov collision detection
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 22 Mar 2004 12:45:02
Message: <c3n8eu$8cr$1@chho.imagico.de>
Daniel Jungmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have now written a patch for faster collision detection. I just made some
> quick checks and it seems working but might be still a lot of bugs. Fee
> free to report them all.
>
> The zipfile contains the changed source files (mechsim.cpp and mechsim.h)
> and a diff file. You don't need both of them.

I did not yet have time to test it but from a quick look at the source
it seems it might lead to slower calculations in cases of:

- relatively few masses
- situations where grouping works very well (like single masses
colliding with grid structures).

It would be useful to have some numbers actually comparing speed in such
situations.  Also you replaced the exisiting collision method with the
new technique - it would probably have been better to introduce it as an
alternative method so you can compare them more easily.

Christoph

Last updated 21 Mar. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______