POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : DEM to height_field : Re: DEM to height_field Server Time
3 Aug 2024 10:23:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DEM to height_field
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 10 Mar 2004 11:30:03
Message: <c2nfn4$776$1@chho.imagico.de>
Peter Hertel wrote:
> Hi
> I've been looking for a high resoultion height field which includes the
> middle of norway (more exactly, the mountains around Molde, south of
> Trondheim). See a map of the location here:
> http://www.gulesider.no/gsi/map.do?n=&mode=&size=2&cb=cz&c=s&cm=&v=&bkode=&d
> rill=&showCompanies=false&firma=&clickX=238&clickY=178&msa=m1&x=6.743208&y=6
> 2.60207&id=&startId=&finishId=&spraak=1&oldZoom=2
>
> I haven't found any images with high enough resolution, but perhaps DEM maps
> could be of some use?

ftp://edcsgs9.cr.usgs.gov/pub/data/srtm/

large parts of Norway are not in the available area though.

> The question is, how do I convert DEM maps to a height_field?

DEM is not a file format, it stands for digital elevation model which is
a synonym for heightfield.  Programs needed to convert it into a form
readable by POV depend on the file format.

Christoph

Last updated 07 Mar. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______