POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature Requests - Normal Map and Displacement Map Support : Re: Feature Requests - Normal Map and Displacement Map Support Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:18:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature Requests - Normal Map and Displacement Map Support
From: Kyle
Date: 24 Oct 2006 12:02:17
Message: <c1dsj213rdd4i69t1pnpmvlq6887dd2u4k@4ax.com>
Thorsten,

>Both are in wide use when modeling meshes, but have not suitable application
>to any other primitive POV-Ray supports.

Why not?  I think having the option to apply a displacement instead of
a normal to any object would be useful.  Applying a normal does not
affect the shape or the shadow of the object.  Applying a displacement
should.  I realize that an isosurface can be used in many instance to
obtain the desired effect, but I also think it would be useful to be
able to build more complex objects with primitives, then apply a
displacement as you would a normal.

>POV-Ray meshes already support
>arbitrary normals, and you can easily create meshes with any level of
>detail, making displacement mapping completely obsolete (except that a
>displacement mapping could make parsing meshes a tiny bit faster).

I think having the option to support a low-poly mesh, which can then
have a displacement map applied would be a nice feature.  I agree that
you can have any level of detail in a mesh, but the size of the mesh
grows exponentially as the level of detail increases.  Additionally,
it would be nice to have the ability to apply a procedural
displacement in this instance.

>Hence
>neither of these features needs to be added, they are already supported.
>
>	Thorsten

Again, thanks for your feedback.

Kyle