POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : linux and windows version produce different output : Re: linux and windows version produce different output Server Time
3 Aug 2024 20:19:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: linux and windows version produce different output
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 12 Nov 2003 11:22:02
Message: <bs2a81-rin.ln1@triton.imagico.de>
sascha wrote:
> When using the 'fresnel' keyword in reflections, Linux (Redhat 7.3) and
> Windows (2000) versions of POV-Ray produce different output!
> This phenomenon caused a strange flickering in an animation rendered on
> the IMP render-farm (which uses clients with different OS), after some
> experimentation I discovered that it is caused by the fresnel reflection.
> I wrote a short scene to demonstrate the effect. An image showing both
> outputs was posted to p.b.images (fresnel.jpg).
> For me the windows output looks "right". Any ideas what could case this
> effect (a bug in the linux version?), or is something wrong with my
> material definition?
> Is there a "workaround"?

To me the linux version seems right, it reflects the black background at
  areas where the reflection coefficient is high.  But in fact if i
should guess i'd say neither is correct.

The difference is most likely caused by a math function being called
with parameters out of the allowed range.  Math libraries of Linux and
Windows handle this differently.

Christoph

Last updated 25 Oct. 2003 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______