POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MechSim: Problem with Fields : Re: MechSim: Problem with Fields Server Time
28 Sep 2024 16:38:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MechSim: Problem with Fields
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 31 Oct 2003 02:02:02
Message: <bgd971-of3.ln1@triton.imagico.de>
Florian Brucker wrote:
> When playing around with MechSim (BTW great job, Christoph!), I came
> across field functions. But somehow I can't get them to work properly.
> They behave totally strange. The code below shows my problem.
>
> The field function which is used is taken from the documentation. If you
> set DIRECTION (right at the top) to 1, it will result in an upward
> force, DIRECTION = -1 means a downward force.
> In the first case (DIRECTION = 1), everything is perfectly normal. The
> masses move up a little bit. But when setting DIRECTION = -1, the masses
> dissappear. Not totally, of course. Checking the positions reveals that
> they are far far away. Much farer than with DIRECTION = 1. How can that be?
> [...]

I don't know if this particular problem is related but i did some basic
changes in the way field forces work soon after the 1.0 release - i did
some detailed tests after that and it worked pretty well.  I will try
your scene later.

> BTW, I had to change the declaration of Vector_Function in mechsim.inc from
>
> [...]

This has been noted before, the fix is fairly obvious so i did not feel
the need for a patch.

Christoph

Last updated 25 Oct. 2003 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______