POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Patch Newbie asks about blob2 : Re: Patch Newbie asks about blob2 Server Time
28 Jun 2024 15:11:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Patch Newbie asks about blob2
From: ABX
Date: 29 Dec 2003 09:13:11
Message: <bfc0vvs999bc68i68ig0p1k1ok97vvdpgs@4ax.com>
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 08:48:26 EST, "gregjohn" <pte### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> > http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/files/mpp1.0_1release.tar.gz
>
> Stupid PCuser Question:  will a PC open a .gz file??

Usually PC means Personal Computer (hardware) which can be driven by some
operating system (OS). So you would like to know: "will my OS open a .gz
file??" probably. But then OS is just set of drivers, applications and some
core with API to perform cooperation of various application on PC. So more
probably is: "is there some application installed within OS located on your PC
to open a .gz file??". But still not precize. Even if it is there it could be
one of inactive OSes on your PC, and moreover such application can be still
unknown for you because installed silently but other application.

Good news, usually .zip readers undesrtand .gz files too. Try Total Commander
from www.ghisler.com (it shows hidden files and directories so perhaps it will
solve other problem mentioned in off-topic recently).

> > Note that the release of the next MegaPOV depends on the next official
> > POV-Ray release so the fact that there has not been any new version for
> > about a year does not mean that much.
>
> Really? Why is that?

Because we tried to make it's development faster. After MP 1.0 we switched to
source tree of POV-Ray and synchronized. Now we can't be earlier with release
than still developed POV-Ray. Probably we will never repeat such mistake again
but now rewerting to old source tree would be veeery difficoult and IMHO
wasting of time.

> I thought it was just a bunch of folks tinkering and
> when it was presentable it was shared.

You thought right.

> Are you limited by the release of 4.0??

We are not limited by the release of 4.0.

ABX