POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Re: POV's splines : Re: POV's splines Server Time
28 Sep 2024 16:50:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV's splines
From: ABX
Date: 14 May 2004 08:06:36
Message: <bec9a01rdovhlhhknd9jmlfp4tvpi6m482@4ax.com>
On Fri, 14 May 2004 13:44:59 +0200, Florian Brucker <tor### [at] torfboldcom> wrote:
> > The two applications are extremely different.
> OK. But it would be possible to at least
>
> 1) make them use the same syntax
> 2) make them behave the same way
>
> wouldn't it?

Which summarizes to:

make them to represent the same "shape" for the same control points with the
same spline type.

> Perhaps it would be even possible to merge the two applications
> internally, and combine them in some class, which offers both
> calculations (intersection search and value search) while offering the
> possibility to use the class everywhere one needs a spline.

Of course it is what everyone of us want. The problem is that it is not
possible in universal way from developer point of view. Spline doesn't have to
be mathematically defined in the meaning of n-order equation. I can imagine
spline type which takes two points for ends and creates
http://www.arrakis.es/~sysifus/img/ckoch.gif between them. Working on
intersection routine for it would be hard. Imo all we really need is
synchronized behaviour of the splines for types already implemented, and allow
new types only in spline{}. As mentioned, you still can create lathe-like mesh
from spline.

ABX