POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Tech TV's Eyedrops : Re: Tech TV's Eyedrops Server Time
8 Jul 2024 13:51:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tech TV's Eyedrops
From: Scott Moore
Date: 23 Nov 2002 06:57:26
Message: <bdputus0aa3gkq3ochcan7ijfsje7qu81e@4ax.com>
On Fri, 22 Nov 2002 20:26:42 -0500, Gwen & Emory Stagmer
<emo### [at] comcastnet> wrote:

>Thanks alot for your suggestions and websites.  I think I'm OK
>on the color saturations since I tended to use very natural colors
>in this animation.

Hi,

Actually, black (RGB 0) can also cause problems - in fact any RGB
value less than 16 or more than 230 are not 'NTSC-safe'. I wouldn't
worry too much about this. Since TechTV don't mention this on their
website I assume they will handle this.

Cheers,

Scott

[Side Note]
Earlier on I was puzzled by when TechTV list 720x560 as a recommended
resolution - a quick search on the net revealed this was related to
aspect ratio. NTSC 'pixels' are not square - they're tall rectangles
(aspect ration of 0.9091) so if your rendering software doesn't allow
you to control aspect ratio (i.e. assumes square pixels) you should
render at 720x560 and then resize to 720x486 to pre-quash the image -
this will then ensure circles look like circles when displayed on the
TV. However, since POV does let you control aspect ratio you could
have saved yourself some CPU time by using

right     x*image_width*0.9091/image_height

in your camera statement and rendering to 720x486