POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Text, csg & speed : Re: Text, csg & speed Server Time
4 Aug 2024 00:21:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Text, csg & speed
From: Mike Williams
Date: 2 Sep 2003 16:22:00
Message: <bJ9aMBAcnPV$Ew+p@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Jellby who wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I'm modelling an engraved ring (the One Ring, actually), and I'm suffering a
>serious slow down when I add the text. Currently, the basic structure of
>the model is something like this:
>
>  union {
>    INNER_RING (inside of the letters, sort of a torus)
>    difference {
>      OUTER_RING (a slightly bigger torus)
>      TEXT (a union of individually rotated and translated letters)
>    }
>  }
>
>The whole thing is bounded_by a short cylinder of the right size. Is there
>anything I could do to improve the rendering speed? Without text it renders
>in around 2 minutes, with text it takes more than 2 hours.

If possible, try cutting the OUTER_RING into letter-sized pieces,
difference one letter from each piece and union them back together
afterwards. Then remove your manual bounding, and let POV bounr it
automatically. The logic behind this is explained on my holes tutorial
page:

<http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/holetut/>

If the letters overlap, it should still work if you difference several
adjacent letters from each piece. It might sound like that would make it
run slower, but you still get the huge advantage of the tighter
bounding.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure