POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Can anyone parse this correctly? : Re: Can anyone parse this correctly? Server Time
1 Jun 2024 20:30:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can anyone parse this correctly?
From: Alex
Date: 20 Jul 2005 13:01:04
Message: <b8fdcxGLNo3CFwqZ@lazysod.org.uk>
In message <web.42de4da63aea88d292a4d1390@news.povray.org>,
FractalMBrown <fractalmbrown_AT_QX_DOT_NET@?.?.invalid> writes
<snip>

>I have been able to create a solid Menger Sponge, merely by changing s1
>through s5 all to 1.0. I could use a "Merge" command on the entire thing
>after that. I realize the memory constraints on this, as I calculated the
>memory usage of the cubes alone, totalling 781.25 megabytes for 3.2 million
>cubes. Add radiosity and light calculations, and it jumps up
>astronomically. At first I thought it was a 32 bit limit on POV-Ray, but
>I've been told from both you and a friend of mine that it couldn't allocate
>enough memory. I'll try merging them all into a solid cube and see what
>happens *crosses fingers*

Going by what I saw with levels 2,3 and 4, I reckon on 7.5 Gbytes.

As for using the merge, I don't think that will solve the memory issues.
Merge just makes the interior faces invisible for when you have a
transparent object, PovRay will still store all the details of each cube
as before. And the surfaces will be co-incident, so merge probably
wouldn't work at all anyway.

I'll have a little play after I've had some lunch, see what I can come
up with. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
--
Alex