POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A second comming : Re: A second comming Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:18:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A second comming
From: Stephen
Date: 13 Feb 2009 03:24:36
Message: <b7aap4dj0iq2npbcun5ijt6h9fpqp9n5qm@4ax.com>
On 12 Feb 2009 17:43:38 -0500, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:

>>>LOL, arguably, the question comes up if a dyslexic person wouldn't in
>>>fact describe themselves as "lysdexic"....?
>>>
>> No.
>
>Well, I was making a joke - if it touched too close to home, please
>accept my most sincere apologies.

No you didn't, I'm long past caring what people think 'cause I can't spell or
read big books. :)
I do get pissed off with people who don't take the trouble to check their
spelling especially when they know they can't spell. I even use "Word" when I'm
writing a hand written note or letter. But then I'm from a generation where it
was considered important U no wat I meen?

>> I often type it dislyxic, I know that there is a "y" in there somewhere.
>> I can see that it is not right but have never been able to remember the
>> spelling.
>
>I could see that.  I often will spell something the way I think it's
>spelt and it doesn't look right.  In my newsreader, of course, it doesn't
>look right because of the squiggly red line underneath the word.

I've switched that feature off in my newsreader. It would drive me mad seeing
other posts :lol:

>>>So all my automated typing of things into UK English (I usually have to
>>>correct for an American audience, in fact, because it is automatic for
>>>me 99% of the time) has just gone right past?
>>
>> Yes.
>
>I guess since it's normal spelling for you, it would - that makes sense.

It does :)

>I occasionally get grief from people about it, or light joking about it.
>One of my coworkers noticed it a few years ago and asked me about it -
>not because he was anything other than curious, though - his background
>is linguistics.
>
>I don't know why I started using Queen's English spellings, though - just
>became a habit.  Possibly because I spent a lot of my time writing to
>brits. :-)

If you can't beet them, join them ;)

Did you know that the term "Brit" used to be offensive? It was used by the Irish
republicans during the troubles and was not complimentary ;) Nowadays the word
is in favour.
--

Regards
     Stephen