POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Nurbs ? : Re: Nurbs ? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 04:08:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nurbs ?
From: Peter Popov
Date: 2 Jun 2001 03:26:08
Message: <b35hht82sql4ih5r5a3slicu7ltj9tp0cq@4ax.com>
On Fri, 01 Jun 2001 22:13:21 -0700, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:

>Smaller file sixes perhaps, greater control later, not. NURBS are great to
>to use in a GUI environment. Trying to manipulate them without a GUI interface
>would be madness. How many people do you personaly know (shut up, Ron) that can
>hand code a single bezier patch ?

<raises hand>

>Even if the syntax were simplified to the
>maximum extent their complexity of use would still far surpass the difficulty
>of use of a simple bezier patch.

What about generating nurbs on the fly with macros? The tessellation
phase will be done by the pre-renderer and not by the parser and will
be much faster. It could be helpful for macros such as Stricia or the
rock macro.

In the current time frame, though, I think the Team has more important
work than nurbing POV. If anyone decides to patch POV to use NURBS,
well, ok :)

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg