POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : splitting-up large renders : Re: splitting-up large renders Server Time
3 Aug 2024 18:16:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: splitting-up large renders
From: Peter Popov
Date: 26 Nov 2003 03:46:46
Message: <aop8svg88fo6kpqeotvqil7li64dq1boqb@4ax.com>
On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 17:23:58 -0500, "Jeremy M. Praay"
<jer### [at] questsoftwarecom> wrote:

>I'm guessing that this has to do with different Radiosity calculations being
>done on the different computers.  This must be a common problem, but I
>didn't see anything in the documentation about it.

I think the docs mention it but maybe not the workaround.

The problem is that the radiosity cache (octree) is different on the
different machines because they render different sections of the
image. Hence the different lighting.

>Is there a way around this?

Yes. Have all the machines share the same radiosity data. This is
accomplished in two passes. In the first pass, for which you should
use the fastest machine you have, render the whole image (maybe in a
lower resolution and without antialiasing) and use always_sample on
and save_file. In the second pass, which you split across different
machines, use pretrace_start 1.0 pretrace_end 1.0 always_sample off
and load_file. This will load the same radiosity data on all nodes and
will minimize the amount of new samples they take, so you should end
up with properly lineable image slices.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg