POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Career Opportunity : Re: Career Opportunity Server Time
10 Oct 2024 17:19:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Career Opportunity
From: Stephen
Date: 14 Mar 2008 10:34:12
Message: <am6lt39qmshm3nd5bb9cefst2vh0aotrpa@4ax.com>
On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 00:54:22 -0700, Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:

>Well, I need some advice, and I was hoping that someone here would be
>able to help.

I agree with Mike, you don't sound as if your heart is in the change. You might
not realise it but there is more than one type of electrician. There are
electricians that work on domestics such as house wiring etc. Or in industry
with control circuits or the power industry in power generation and
distribution. All of these disciplines have different skills and different job
opportunities. Although I'm not an electrician I have worked as one when I
worked offshore in the oil industry. It was not long after that I stopped
working offshore as I was being asked to do things outside of my competence
level. I was an electronic tech/engineer used to working at a maximum of 50
volts. But I digress, some of an electrician's work can be rewarding both
intellectually and financially. Some of it is mundane and boring all of it
involves working with your hands generally in not the best of conditions.
I'm not trying to put you off but just to make you aware of it. Another thing
you say that you have been working for seven years already, does that not make
you a bit old to start an apprenticeship? Here in the UK apprenticeships
generally start after leaving school about age fifteen (shows how old I am :) to
seventeen. Again I don't mean to put you off if that is what you want to do but
going back to school is not a bad idea. You could even go back into banking with
your new skills and old experience. On the positive side if you enjoy working
with your hands, building and fixing things an electrician's life can be good.
School is not for everyone. It was not for me (the school of hard knocks is how
I was educated :).

Regards
	Stephen