POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Quiz : Re: POV-Ray Quiz for Intermediate Users Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:09:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Quiz for Intermediate Users
From: ABX
Date: 5 Jun 2003 04:16:38
Message: <ajutdv0ubie5k07cuc6gcglcjmajgend6h@4ax.com>
On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 18:56:49 -0700, Gena Obukhov <obu### [at] mailcom> wrote:

>> Well, I don't want to post answers here :) I only measured difference between a
>> and b.
>> For b and c I rely on documentation - 6.3.4 Transform Identifiers (see bottom
>> part).
>
>In case of c) it would be more correct to say:
>c. separate matrix for scale, rotate and translate.
>
> Because I think one combined transformation matrix should have the same
> performance as 'transform'. Please correct me if I'm wrong :)

Simple transformation written directly in modifiers, as

  scale 2
  translate x

means 4 tokens to be parsed, while enclosed by transform

  transform{
    scale 2
    translate x
  }

means 7 tokens to be parsed, while written as matrix

  matrix <2,0,0,0,2,0,0,0,2,1,0,0>

means 26 tokens to be parsed. So all together difference might be not that
simple as it may look. They are rather other benefits from using one method or
another.

ABX