POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JPEG2000 : Re: JPEG2000 Server Time
3 Aug 2024 18:17:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPEG2000
From: IMBJR
Date: 7 Mar 2004 13:16:27
Message: <aipm40lu4h17bpcp1i85v0uch5jo4f90nf@4ax.com>
On 7 Mar 2004 11:27:39 -0500, Tom Galvin <tom### [at] imporg> wrote:

>IMBJR <no### [at] spamhere> wrote in news:afhm40de9d1agdf7cbsenivvrdidf5b73s@
>4ax.com:
>

>>>That's an opinion.
>>
>> Well, fucking duh. Like to point out the sky is blue?
>>
>> Try actually responding sensibly to my opinion instead of merely
>> pointing out that it is one. Or can't you think of a better set of
>> arguments to defend your obviously lazy position?
>>

>Was I disrespectful?

No, just time-wasting.

>You certainly crossed the line, and not just in this

Oh poor you. So easily upset. Get over it, or get behind your
killfile.

>post.  The vehemence of your responses in these threads has presented
>opinion as self-evident fact.  Forgive me for trying a gentle reminder.  If
>you are the only person pushing for JPEG2000 you may want to examine the
>logic of incorporating them on these groups at this time.

I may be the only person because the rest of you can't early-adapt for
some bizarre reason. There's always been an odd atmosphere in these
groups - and this atitude over a simple file format is just another
example of something definately off-kilter. I'm sorry if I don't
present myself in some sort of pre-approved-POV-Ray-user manner, but
that's just me - get over it and listen to the arguments instead of
finding yet more execuses to not bother with them.

I don't expect everyone to start posting JPEG2000 images. All I ask
for is the permission to post in that format. I don't care if people
can't see the resulting posted image, that's their problem for them to
decide what to do about - just like I suspect a lot of people don't
bother with the animation group because the postings are huge (some of
us still on the old 56k dial-up). Nannying these people by protecting
them from the format is the wrong way to go.

>My arguments for PNG have an advantage in that they are already and
>accepted on these newsgroups as the preferred method for displaying images
>with out loss of quality.

I was not arguing for a format without loss of quality. Keep up. I was
arguing for a format with lossy compression that provides a better
quality image than its predecessor.

My First Subgenius Picture Book:
http://www.imbjr.com